“How can I get rid of whiteheads?” is a common cry of teenagers with acne. I certainly used to have them as a teenager, and even now that I am in my 30s, I still struggle with occasional breakouts. Or, at least, I used to until I discovered how to get rid of them. I know this works for both adults and teenagers, as my teenage son and daughter benefit from it just as much as I do. If you want to know how to get rid of whiteheads, here’s how.
What Are Whiteheads?
Whiteheads are those pale or white dots on your face that are slightly raised. They probably don’t look as bad as blackheads and large red pimples, but if left untreated they will become large red pimples. If you are anything like me, you do not want them on your face or the rest of your body.
Whiteheads are also known as closed comedones because they are clogged pores that your skin has covered over with pigment. Remember that your skin produces its natural oil in the dermis, the layer of skin below the outer layer that you can see and touch. As your skin needs to be revitalized and repaired, it also sheds a lot of dead skin cells from the dermis. Both the oil and the dead skin cells must pass through openings (pores) between the dermis and the top layer (epidermis). The oil is there to moisturize, and the dead skin cells are expelled from your body.
Unfortunately, the oil and dead cells can block your pores when there are large amounts of them. If a pore is blocked and your skin places normal skin pigment on top of it, it is called a whitehead. If a pore is blocked but remains open without any pigment over it, it is called a blackhead because the oxygen in the air around you turns the decaying oil and dead cells black, in the same way as oxygen turns peeled potatoes black.
If you fail to remove whiteheads or, even better, prevent them, they will probably become pimples. Pimples pop up for two interrelated reasons: When a pore is blocked with biological matter that starts to decay inside it, bacteria start to proliferate inside this decaying ball of waste. In response, your immune system secretes inflammatory substances to try to fight off those bacteria, or at least to warn you of the bacterial overgrowth. The inflammation then causes the pimples to grow, to become red, to become painful, and to fill with pus.
Therefore, the two main reasons to get rid of whiteheads are because they look unsightly and because they might become infected and inflamed.
How to Get Rid of Whiteheads the Natural Way
Exposed Skin Care has released a collection of acne kits that you can buy and use as needed. This is one way to get rid of whiteheads the natural way. The largest kit has nine products, but there are also five-product and six-product versions. Since my acne is now under control, I tend to use the five-product kit, whereas my teenage son and daughter use the full kit.
There are several reasons why I use this product.
First, as I will show you below, scientific studies have demonstrated that the primary ingredients in the products can get rid of whiteheads, blackheads, and acne.
Second, the kit is comprehensive and includes a lot of products that you would otherwise have to buy separately, such as a face wash, a moisturizer, a facial scrub, a mask, an anti-acne cream, and a night cream that also fights whiteheads and acne.
Third, if you buy the whole kit, the individual products are extremely cheap; certainly a lot cheaper than if you were to buy all those products separately. It costs below $50 a month for a comprehensive skin treatment. Many moisturizers alone cost that much.
Fourth, the company is reputable. It is a member of the Better Business Bureau®, which has given it an A+ rating for consumer service and complaint resolution. You will also receive a full money-back guarantee if you find that the products do not work.
The nine-product kit includes the following:
- A facial cleanser, or face wash. This is your new soap substitute. Use it in the shower in the morning and in the evening. It contains no oils that will block your pores, and no artificial chemicals that will dry or irritate your skin.
- A clearing tonic, or dead-cell remover. Apply it once a day. It exercises most of its effect through salicylic acid, a substance that has been definitively proved to be an effective remover of dead and abnormal skin cells like acne and calluses. It also fights off inflammation and pain. Green tea, another ingredient, reduces the effects of androgen hormones, the hormones that trigger the oil glands in your skin to secrete too much oil. Sage is another useful anti-inflammatory in this tonic.
- The acne-treatment serum, or antibacterial cream, prevents bacteria from proliferating inside clogged pores. There is no doubt in the scientific community that benzoyl peroxide, its main ingredient, kills these bacteria. Two other ingredients, tea tree oil and azelaic acid, do too.
- The clear-pore serum, or night cream, contains mostly green tea and salicylic acid to prevent your pores from blocking during the hours you sleep. Eight hours of sleep is recommended. This is incredibly important, as it is an eight-hour period for which your skin would otherwise remain untreated and dirty.
- The moisturizer consists of a silicon-based cream that maximizes your skin’s natural oil by preventing it from escaping. This is the best way to moisturize, as adding oils to the oil your skin already produces overloads it with oil and is a recipe for acne. Moisturizing is important, because the benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid in the other products may cause some dryness.
- A facial mask to apply to your whole face once or twice a week and multiple times a day to stubborn pimples that still appear. It is antibacterial and absorbs some of your skin’s oil.
- A facial scrub to help remove dead cells from your pores and your skin’s surface.
- A derm-x cloth that is just scratchy enough to remove crud from your pores without damaging your skin.
- Probiotic tablets to improve your immune system and digestion of essential skin healthy nutrients.
If whiteheads appear all over your body, you may want to buy the body kit. It contains the antibacterial acne treatment serum, a derm-x cloth, and a body wash with small particles that allows it to double as a scrub. It contains most of the same beneficial natural ingredients as the facial kit.
General Tips for Removing Whiteheads
- Wash your face with lukewarm water twice, or at most three times, per day. Hot water damages your skin, so do not use it. Use only the cleanser and derma cloth from the acne kit. If you use soap or an abrasive brush that dries your skin, it will compensate by secreting even more oil than before; oil that might clog your pores again.
- Steam can help to open your pores, and the resulting sweat from the heat can moisturize and soften the crud stuck in them. If you go to a gym that has a steam room, relax there for 15
minutes twice a week. Otherwise, open only the hot water tap to run hot water into the basin, and hold your face above that. Use the scrub from the acne kit immediately afterwards to remove the oil and dead cells from the pores that have just opened. Once you are done, apply the moisturizer.
- If you swim in salt or chlorinated water, or if you do anything else that might dry your skin, use the moisturizer more often than usual. You do not want your skin to respond to the dryness by secreting oil.
- Cut as much sugar (refined carbohydrates) and dairy products as possible from your diet, as research shows that these two substances can aggravate acne. Wholegrain pasta and bread taste better than the refined variety anyway, and maple syrup, agave nectar, Stevia, and coconut sugar also taste better than white and brown table sugar. You can get milk the consistency of two percent dairy milk from most nuts, and something like skim milk from grains.
- Find a way to combat stress, as many people have testified that the stress hormones (cortisol) that your body secretes in response to stress trigger breakouts. Read a novel, walk your dog, or meditate. Regular exercise is also helpful, as it triggers your body to secrete dopamine and serotonin, the neurotransmitters most responsible for an upbeat mood.
Whiteheads: Remedies to Avoid
- Avoid home remedies like apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, coconut oil, and, sadly, even tea tree oil. Coconut oil is too greasy, citrus makes your skin too sensitive to the sun, apple cider vinegar and lemon dry your skin, and tea tree oil notwithstanding its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, will dry your skin and even cause a rash.
- While I don’t want to advise against a dermatologist completely, use Exposed Skin Care‘s kits first, and learn how to get rid of whiteheads along with other forms of acne. Many professional medical treatments consist of hard drugs with side effects, or chemical peels and creams that take off your skin’s whole top layer and even some skin below it, or expensive laser and light treatments that you quite possibly cannot afford. It is unnecessary to torture yourself with side effects and strong chemicals that leave your skin dry, inflamed, and may possibly even cause scars. If you try Exposed Skin Care’s acne kits first, you will realize that you need nothing else.
- Never pick or squeeze whiteheads. Some of them can be removed in this way, but if you start squeezing one that is already inflamed, it will leave an acne scar once it pops out. Remember, whiteheads are temporary; scars are quite possibly forever. It is silly to substitute a permanent blemish for a temporary one just because you are impatient.
I was so happy to discover that I did not have to live with occasional acne breakouts of blackheads, whiteheads, or pimples all over my face. Once I learned how to get rid of whiteheads, my acne no longer affected me. My teenagers are just as happy that they no longer have to think of these pests as a natural part of being a teenager, but now know how to get rid of whiteheads. It is amazing to have gained control over something that killed my self-esteem as a teenager and made me feel embarrassed and silly as an adult. I have linked to all the research, so you know that this is not a scam. What are you waiting for? Go for it today.